• The Humane Society for Boone County (HSforBC) is a private, not for
profit 501(c)(3), all volunteer, organization operating within Boone County
Indiana to provide animal rescue, welfare, and education.
• HSforBC has no legal authority in Boone County Indiana.
• HSforBC has no powers to act as animal control.
• HSforBC will always operate within the confines of the law.
• Boone County does not own or operate a taxpayer funded animal shelter.
• Boone County does not have an animal control officer.
• Reports of alleged animal abuse/neglect must be made to, and handled
by, a law enforcement officer.
• Calls to law enforcement are handled on a case by case basis.
• HSforBC may work in conjunction with law enforcement when requested.
• Indiana views pets as personal property, and no different than any other
belonging that someone may own.
• All requests for assistance from HSforBC must come through 1-877-HSforBC (877-473-6722)
or firstname.lastname@example.org and messages are responded to in 24-48 hours.
• Found/stray animals are advertised for a minimum 7 days.
Animals that are not claimed will be vetted and made available
• Here is a link to Boone County Ordinances
• Here is a link to Indiana State animal laws